Department: Water & Wastewater
Division: Wastewater Treatment
Salary range: $17.79 – $29.46
Under the supervision of the Lead Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator performs skilled mechanical and monitoring work in the treatment, transfer, storage and distribution of water at a wastewater treatment plant. The incumbent monitors and adjusts various equipment and instrumentation for the effective treatment of wastewater in accordance with licensure specification, gathers samples, performs chemical analysis and general preventative maintenance work. Work is reviewed through written reports for adherence to established policies and procedures.
- Monitor, adjust and record data from various types of instrumentation and equipment to ensure proper biological and chemical treatment, pressure and flow rates of the wastewater system; monitor influent and effluent flow, chlorine and chlorine levels.
- Maintain daily log and various local, state and federal records; record reading of gauges and results of tests at specified intervals; maintain record of daily operations and any irregularities; maintain equipment maintenance records.
- Collect samples; test water quality; make chemical analysis such as solids determination, chlorine residual and pH determination; perform sludge volume tests; measure dissolved oxygen levels; perform chlorine residual test; turbidity and telemetry monitoring.
- Observe and operate a variety of equipment in the treatment of wastewater; operate filters, pumps, mixers, filters compressors, blowers and feeders; adjust and change tanks; backwash filters.
- Monitor the SCADA systems for the water plants (Intellution) and the Lift Stations (Data Flow) and monitor water plant security cameras.
- Call out emergency on call personnel.
- Perform all laboratory procedures under NELAC Standards for reporting purposes.
- Perform general maintenance of the plant equipment.
- Perform well sampling in compliance with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and NELAC Standards.
- Assist the Industrial Waste Technician with laboratory sampling, testing inspections as needed.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to understand, communicate and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to gather and maintain complete and accurate records.
- Knowledge of basic wastewater treatment methods and procedures, sanitary characteristics of sewage and chemicals used in the treatment process.
- Knowledge of plant safety precautions.
- Skill in the use of a variety of treatment plant equipment and measuring instruments.
- Ability to work shifts, including weekends, holidays and during emergency events.
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Tasks involve walking, bending, stooping, lifting, and carrying objects of moderately weight (12-20 lb.)
Tasks require color, depth, odor, texture, visual perception and discrimination and oral communication ability.
High school diploma/GED supplemented by courses in wastewater treatment and have a current Florida Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate. Must have a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Employees in this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.