Department: Water & Wastewater
Division: Water Distribution
Hiring Rate: $13.23 – $19.84
Under the supervision of the foreman or designee, performs maintenance and repair of the municipal water distribution. Assists in the installation, repair and maintenance of water and wastewater mains, service lines, valves, fire hydrants and other attendant devices. Work includes connection of fittings; repair and cleaning of mains, lines, valves and hydrants; placement, removal and minor repair to water meters & electric meters and testing of water pressure. Work is reviewed through observation and adherence to established policies and procedures and results achieved.
- Assist in the installation and servicing of water mains; cements fittings; place barricades; excavate trenches for main placement; apply temporary patches to street surfaces following repair.
- Responsible for accurately maintaining daily paperwork and record keeping.
- Repair & install water mains, valves, fittings, water services, meters (water & electric), wet taps, line stopping and any other appurtenances to the distribution system.
- Repair and maintain valves and fire hydrants.
- Assist in locating valves and utility lines.
- Install, exchange water meters and electric meters.
- Operate motor vehicles to transport personnel and supplies to work site; operate various hand and power tools; operate heavy equipment.
- Perform non-skilled level facilities maintenance and cleaning.
- Assist and support other departments/divisions as needed.
- After probationary period, employee will be placed on the on call stand-by list as requirement for the position.
- Assist in the placement of M.O.T.
- Assist and support customers in making minor plumbing repairs also inspect and answer customer complaints.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Knowledge of the practices and materials utilized in the installation and maintenance of water utility system.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Ability to locate leaks, stoppages and malfunctions in water lines and related equipment.
- Ability to operate heavy hand machinery used in the maintenance of water lines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with fellow employees.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Skill in the use of light and heavy equipment and hand and power tools.
- Required to take call duty on rotating basis for after hour’s emergencies and services.
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse and hazardous environmental conditions, including occasional exposure to wastewater effluent.
Tasks involves walking, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces and lifting or carrying 20-50 lb.
Tasks requires sound, depth and visual perception and discrimination and oral communication ability.
High school diploma/GED supplemented by one year general labor experience. Must have a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License, CDL Class “B” or the permit and ability to obtain the license w/ tanker endorsement within six (6) months of hire. Prefer ability to obtain State of Florida Class 3 Water Distribution Operator’s License within (18) months of hire date.
Employees in this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.