Department: Water & Wastewater Utilities
Division: Wastewater Collection
Hourly Rate: $13.23 – $19.84
Under the supervision of the foreman or designee, this position is moderately difficult work; performs multiple tasks within the wastewater collection system consisting of various maintenance and repair of wastewater gravity and pressurized mains, laterals, valves, and other apparatus. Work is reviewed through observation and adherence to established policies and procedures and results achieved.
- Assist in the repair, maintenance, replacement, and installation of wastewater mains, laterals, manholes, force mains, ARV valves, backwater devices, and sanitary cleanouts.
- Assist with collection system trouble shoot investigations, including customer complaints/concerns responses.
- Assist in traffic control including setting up and maintaining traffic control devices.
- Assist in setting up and maintaining bypass and dewatering pumps.
- Repair, replace, and make adjustments of manhole frame/covers.
- Operate motor vehicles to transport personnel, equipment, and supplies to and from work site.
- Operate various hand and power tools, including light and heavy equipment.
- Perform routine safety inspections on vehicles, tools, and equipment.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Possess ability to comprehend, complete, and retain knowledge required for successful accomplishment of all job position essential functions.
- Possess a basic knowledge of the materials and procedures utilized in the installation, repair, and maintenance of a wastewater collection system.
- Possess a basic knowledge of job related occupational safety hazards and safety practices.
- Ability to communicate clearly with customers, co-workers, and supervisors alike.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and supervisors.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and understand prints within six (6) months of hire.
- Ability to complete daily work orders with basic information.
- Skill and basic knowledge in the use of equipment, hand, and power tools utilized on a daily basis.
- Required to take on-call duty on rotating basis for after hour emergencies and services.
Tasks require that work be performed in adverse environment and hazardous conditions including excessive noise levels, confined spaces, exposure to noxious odors, extreme heat or cold temperatures, frequent exposure to wastewater effluent; involves working with unmarked underground utilities; i.e. high voltage power, fiber optic cables, low and high pressure gas transmission lines; working in congested residential areas, main highways and in trenches and/or deep excavations.
Tasks involve walking, bending, stooping, climbing, prying, working in confined spaces, lifting or carrying (20-50 lb.) and on occasion assist with lifting of heavier objects.
Tasks require sound, depth, and visual perception and discernment; requires oral and written communication ability.
High school diploma/GED supplemented by one (1) year labor experience. Must have a valid (CDL) Florida Commercial Driver License, Class “B” or permit and ability to obtain license within six (6) months of hire including tanker endorsement.
Employees in this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.