Department: Water & Wastewater Utilities
Division: Construction Services
Salary range: $13.23 – $19.84
Under the supervision of the foreman/designee, performs installation and maintenance of the municipal water distribution, wastewater collection and storm water systems. Assist in the installation, repair and maintenance of water and wastewater mains, storm water lines, valves and other appurtenances, but is not limited to such. Position supplies construction support to all City departments. Work includes the connection of fittings, installation of new mains, service lines, valves, and hydrants; repair of sanitary mains and lift stations; placement, removal and minor repair to water meters and the pressure testing and chlorination of new mains. Work is reviewed through observation of efficiency, safety, production, adherence to established policies and procedures, and results achieved.
- Assist in the installation, maintenance and repair of water and wastewater mains; proper placement of barricades for maintenance of traffic requirements; excavate trenches for main placement; apply temporary patches to street surfaces following repair.
- Install, repair and adjust valves boxes and meter boxes; install water meters; install, repair and maintain valves; install and maintain new fire hydrants; install underground conduits for electric, communications, and traffic signals.
- Assist in the installation of all underground utilities and the installation and maintenance of sanitary lift stations; install underground conduits for electric, communications, and traffic signals.
- Operate motor vehicles to transport personnel and supplies to work site; operate various hand and power tools; operate heavy equipment and electronic locating equipment.
- Perform skilled level functions related to specific directional drilling and/or pipe bursting equipment, locating and tracking during directional drilling.
- Operate minor equipment, hand tools and construction equipment.
- Assist in construction support for other departments as needed.
- Perform semi-skilled level facilities maintenance and cleaning.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to locate leaks, stoppages and malfunctions in water and wastewater lines and related equipment; ability to operate hand machinery used in the installation of water/wastewater lines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with fellow employees; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability learn to operate hand tools used in installation and maintenance of underground utilities during directional drilling, pipe bursting and standard construction practices.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Knowledge of specific equipment and specialized tools for the installation of new water and wastewater mains and related appurtenances and be skilled in the use of light equipment and hand and power tools.
- Required to take on-call duty on rotating basis for after-hours emergencies and services after probation period.
- Knowledge of methods and materials utilized in the installation and maintenance of a water distribution and wastewater utility system; knowledge of specific means and methods related to directional drilling and/or pipe bursting.
Tasks require work be performed in adverse and hazardous environmental conditions including exposure to wastewater effluent. Involves working with unmarked underground utilities; i.e. high voltage power, fiber optic cables, low and high pressure gas transmission lines, working in congested residential areas, main highways and in trenches and/or deep excavations. Task will involve working with asbestos cement pipe, its proper abatement and transportation.
Tasks involve heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces and lifting or carrying (20-50 lb) items and assist in carrying heavier objects. Task may involve extended working hours during emergency situations that arise.
Tasks require sound, depth and visual perception and discernment and oral communication ability.
High school diploma/GED. Must have a valid Florida Driver License with CDL permit or ability to obtain Class “B” CDL within six (6) months of hire. Prefer the ability to obtain Florida State Water Distribution Class 3 License within 18 months of hire.
Employees in this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.