Department: Water and Wastewater
Division: Water Distribution
Hourly rate: $15.72 – $23.59
Under the supervision of the foreman, operates a variety of automotive vehicles, heavy and light equipment, and various hand and power tools in the construction, maintenance and repair of streets, municipal water and wastewater lines and mains. Work is reviewed through results achieved.
- Operate a wide range of heavy equipment, automotive vehicles, power and hand tools that may include, but not limited to, bull dozers, graders, Vac-con, pneumatic missile, backhoes, bush hogs, fork lifts, tractors, dump trucks, front-end loader, chain saws, cement cutter and jackhammers.
- Transport equipment and materials to and from job sites; haul maintenance workers, refuse, brush, rock, materials and equipment.
- Maintain, repair, and install water and wastewater mains and lines; make taps; mark lines; test for and repair leaks; repair line breaks; install water meters; electric meters; monitor flow meters; perform valve maintenance.
- Inspect and maintain assigned equipment; check oil and perform basis service tasks; report malfunctions; prepare equipment; wash and fuel equipment.
- Perform safety inspections of assigned equipment as required.
- Communicates effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Winter Park Core Competencies.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to understand and follow oral and simple written instructions.
- Ability to understand and read water and wastewater and sewer atlases.
- Ability to perform strenuous work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to read blue prints and plans.
- Ability to detect required repairs and to make necessary adjustments to automotive equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and practices.
- Knowledge of the operation and routine maintenance of light equipment.
- Required to take on-call duty on rotating basis for after hours emergencies and services.
- High school diploma/GED supplemented by one (1) year related experience.
Certifications and Training
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver License with CDL permit.
- Obtain Class “B” CDL License within six (6) months of hire.
- Must obtain tanker endorsement after six (6) month probationary period.
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse and hazardous environmental conditions, including occasional exposure to wastewater effluent.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping
Tasks require manual dexterity in addition to visual and hearing acuity.