Department: Water & Wastewater
Division: Wastewater Collection
Hourly rate: $15.72 – $23.59
Under the supervision of the foreman or designee, this position is moderately difficult work; operates a variety heavy equipment, automotive vehicles, various hand and power tools utilized in maintenance and repair of the wastewater collection system. If assigned to lining crew, performs trenchless repairs in sewer mains and sewer laterals throughout the collection system. Work is reviewed through observation of efficiency, safety, production, adherence to established policies and procedures, and by results achieved.
- Operates a variety of heavy construction equipment to include, but not limited to, Vac-truck, CCTV truck, backhoe, excavator, fork lift, dump truck, wheel loaders, trenchers, back property cleaning/inspection equipment, chain saws, concrete saws, jackhammers, etc.
- Transports personnel, equipment and materials to and from job sites; Transport misc debris including wastewater via tanker truck.
- Assists with traffic control including setting up and maintaining traffic control devices.
- Assists in setting up and maintaining bypass and dewatering pumps.
- Assists with multiple tasks assigned to the wastewater collection division; misc repairs, and installations.
- Inspects and maintains assigned equipment, routine safety inspections, check oil and perform basic service tasks including cleaning of equipment, report malfunctions for necessary adjustments or repairs, to include all necessary follow up.
- Assumes supervisors responsibility in their absence.
- Performs routine cleaning, respond to back-ups, and relieve blockages with high pressure hoses/nozzles or with mechanical devices such as rodding machines.
If assigned to Lining Crew, these additional Essential Function apply:
- Performs CCTV inspection of sewer lines for defects.
- Assists in the preparation and installation of lateral, short main, and manhole to manhole liners.
- Assists in locating breaks and blockages in sanitary lines to identify areas for repair.
- Communicates effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Winter Park Core Competencies.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to understand and follow oral and simple written instructions.
- Ability to read and comprehend City and county atlases, TV inspection forms, and daily work orders.
- Ability to safely operate a wide variety of equipment, vehicles, and tools utilized on a consistent basis.
- Ability to detect required repairs and to make necessary simple adjustments to light, heavy, and automotive equipment.
- Ability to identify collection system malfunctions and respond accordingly.
- High school diploma/GED supplemented by one (1) year experience using various heavy equipment.
- Experience in repair and maintenance of wastewater collection systems preferred.
- An equivalent combination of the required education and experience may be considered.
Certifications and Training
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Commercial Driver License, CDL Class “B” preferred or must obtain the permit prior to employment.
- Obtain the license w/ tanker endorsement within six (6) months of hire.
- Obtain MOT Intermediate Certification, within one year of employment.
If assigned to lining crew, must have the following installation certifications, or the ability to obtain said certifications within one (1) year of hire/assignment:
- Section Main Line Liners
- Manhole to Manhole Line Liners
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse and hazardous environmental conditions including excessive noise levels, confined spaces, exposure to noxious odors, extreme hot and cold temperatures, frequent exposure to wastewater effluent; work with unmarked underground utilities; i.e. high voltage power, fiber optic cables and low and high pressure gas transmission lines; working in congested residential areas, main highways, and in trenches and/or deep excavations. Tasks may result in exposure to hazardous chemical and resins utilized in trenchless repairs.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping
Tasks require manual dexterity in addition to visual and hearing acuity.