Department: Public Works
Hiring Rate: $13.90 – $20.85
Provide citywide repair and maintenance of streets, curbs, sidewalks, signs and storm drains. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Supervisor and Foreman.
- Perform all types of repairs, and manual labor related to street, sidewalk and storm drainage.
- Operate city vehicles, pickup trucks, flat-bed crew trucks, and dump trucks.
- Use hand tools, quickie Saws, jackhammers, compressors, plate tamps, etc., in opening and closing trenches.
- Work safely in congested traffic areas with potentially dangerous equipment.
- Responsible for inspection and safe utilization of vehicles, safety equipment and apparel in accordance with standard operating procedures within the division.
- Communicates effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Winter Park Core Competencies.
- Performs other work assigned.
NOTE: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to use hand tools.
- Ability to take instruction from supervisors and to get along with all co-workers.
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled manual tasks.
- Knowledge of basic asphalt, sidewalk and storm drain repair and maintenance.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year general labor experience.
- An equivalent combination of the required education and experience may be considered.
Certifications and Training
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Commercial Driver License Class B or higher with air brake endorsement or have a CDL Permit and the ability to get the license within six months of hire.
- Complete Basic Work Zone Safety Certification within six months of hire or upon class availability.
- All certifications must be current at the time of application and must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping.
Tasks require manual dexterity in addition to visual and hearing acuity as well as oral communication ability.