Department: Parks and Recreation
Division: Community Center
Hourly Rate: $10.33 – $15.50
Under supervision of the community center management assists with the recreational programs and summer/holiday camps. Work is reviewed through observation and reports for adherence to established policies and procedures.
- Facilitate programs and activities while ensuring the safety, general welfare and enjoyment of the general public.
- Lead various recreational activities and programs.
- Develop and follow weekly programming plan for camp group.
- Open, monitor, and secure facility and prepare facility for use during operational hours.
- May assist in creating various flyers, newsletters, promotions and announcements for programs and activities as directed.
- Monitor supplies and requirements of recreation activities and athletics programs and coordinates with supervisor to ensure ample supply.
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers in all situations (face to face, telephone, email, etc)
- Perform light custodial duties, e.g., maintain recreation equipment, maintain cleanliness of facilities, perform set up and break down duties for activities and special events.
- Communicates effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Winter Park Core Competencies.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Knowledge of the equipment and techniques necessary to successfully conduct recreation programs.
- Knowledge of the methods involved in organizing, conducting, promoting and supervising recreation activities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, and the general public.
- Ability to make critical and difficult decisions with direction that conforms to the policies and procedures of the City and the Department.
- Ability to express ideas clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work weekend and evening hours.
- Certification in emergency procedures, First Aid, CPR, and AED.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Six (6) months recreation programming experience working in a summer camp atmosphere.
- An equivalent combination of the required education and experience may be considered.
- Associates Degree or some college.
Certifications and Training
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver License.
- Possess American Red Cross CPR and Advanced First Aid.
- All certifications must be current at the time of application and must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 25 pounds of force frequently and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping.
Tasks require manual dexterity in addition to visual and hearing acuity. Tasks require color, depth, odor, sound, texture and visual perception and discrimination and oral communication ability.