Department: Parks & Recreation
Division: Landscaping, Maintenance or Recreation
Hourly Rate: $12.28 – $18.43
Under the general supervision of the assigned division Parks Superintendent and the direct supervision of the assigned Parks Specialist or crew leader, this position utilizes a variety of tools and specialized equipment to perform routine manual work at a variety of City facilities and properties assigned to the Parks and Recreation Department. Routine tasks may be completed with minimal supervision subject to inspection while in progress and upon completion. Work is reviewed by completion of work orders, observation of work in progress and evaluation of completed work product.
- Perform a wide range of semi-skilled labor related to the maintenance of City parks and properties, as assigned.
- Install and maintain landscape vegetation, including turf, hedges, and raised and/or hanging planters. Loads and unloads equipment and supplies.
- Install, repair, and clean park equipment and amenities.
- Operate a variety of equipment and vehicles such as trucks, carts, pressure washers, mechanized lawn or irrigations equipment
- Operate a variety of hand, power, and small engine tools.
- Perform minor maintenance of equipment and vehicles.
- Communicate effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the City of Winter Park Core Competencies.
- Perform other work as assigned.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Knowledge of basic landscaping and lawn maintenance techniques.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn safe work practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, superiors, and the general public.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use a variety of hand, power and small engine tools.
- Ability to operate equipment and vehicles in a safe manner under various conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Six months of general maintenance experience.
Certifications and Training
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver license.
- All certifications must be current at the time of application and must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Tasks may require frequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping.
Tasks require color, depth, sound, texture and visual perception and discrimination. Task requires oral communications ability.