Department: Parks & Recreation
Division: Community Center
Hourly rate: $10.85 – $16.28
Under the direction of Lead Lifeguard, maintain the water quality, cleanliness and maximum water safety at the City pools and insure that the people using the pool are following safety rules and regulations.
- Clean pool and pool ground areas as required.
- Regulate water activities.
- Perform rescues of swimmers in trouble, supply C.P.R. and emergency first aid until assistance arrives.
- Provide support for programs and events.
- Provides swimming instruction and leads aquatic programs.
- Operates automates program and facility registration software; register customers for programs and rentals, collects fees, runs reports, and maintains user records and verifies data input.
- Assist with operation and oversight of concessions area.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with the public.
- Knowledge of accepted life saving techniques with possession of Advanced Life Saving; C.P.R. and First Aid Certifications.
- Knowledge of water chemistry and pool maintenance.
- Proficient in swimming.
Tasks require frequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Tasks require walking, standing, speaking, hearing, sitting, lifting, pushing, pulling and reaching overhead.
Tasks require color, visual and hearing perception and discrimination and oral and written communication ability.
High School Diploma or GED. AA Degree or some college preferred. Valid drivers license (must obtain Florida driver’s license within 30 days of employment). An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered. Will be required to work weekends and evening hours. Must have Advanced Lifesaving, CPR, First Aid Certificates and knowledge of water chemistry and pool maintenance. A Water Safety Instructor Certificate is preferred.
Employees in this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.