Department: Building & Permitting Services
Division: Building & Permitting Services
Hourly rate: $22.77 – $34.16
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Building & Permitting this position is responsible for the permit processing and review of plans for compliance with Building and Zoning codes. Work requires the use of technical knowledge and discretion in reviewing plans. Work is reviewed through reports, conferences and results achieved.
- Review plans and specifications for proposed construction projects for compliance with City Building and Zoning Codes and state construction codes.
- Provide assistance to property owners, developers, builders, architects, engineers and customers seeking information on planning, building and zoning matters.
- Assists applicants in completing construction permit applications including computing and collecting fees; assisting contractors with the building plan application process and assisting with licensing information.
- Route and track building plans through the plan approval process.
- Receive applications, processes and issues business certificates, special event permits, parade permits, solicitation permits, film permits, news rack permits, vehicle for hire applications and sidewalk café permitting for individuals and businesses in coordination with other affected City departments.
- Check zoning & review residential and commercial building plans.
- Issue and file permits, contractor information and other forms
- Inspect buildings and properties to insure compliance with approved plans and applicable codes.
- Serve as clerk to Board of Adjustments.
- Communicates effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Winter Park Core Competencies.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Please note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Ability to read, interpret and review building plans and specifications for code compliance.
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public and provide good customer service.
- Knowledge of building construction, safety rules, materials and equipment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Five (5) years’ experience as a building inspector, builder, engineer, architect or similar profession or two (2) years as a plans examiner.
Certifications and Training
- Possess a and maintain a valid Florida Class E Driver License.
- Possess valid State of Florida Certification as one of the following; Mechanical Inspector and Plan Review, Plumbing Inspector and Plan Review, Electrical Inspector and Plan Review OR Florida licensed engineer or architect.
Tasks are mainly sedentary with occasional walking, stooping, bending, climbing and may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard. Some Tasks are performed with some exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
This is light work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 25 pounds of force frequently and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping. Work requires sitting at a keyboard for extended periods of time.
Tasks require manual dexterity in addition to visual and hearing acuity.